Kris talks with Ruthie Schulder, CEO of The Participation Agency and one of Inc. Magazine’s top 100 female founders. Here she shares many of the challenges she has faced managing people and one thing people need to know in order to have the best chance at succeeding.
Ruthie Schulder’s BioAs co-founder and Chief Executive Officer of The Participation Agency, Ruthie Schulder reinvented the agency model. Bucking the trend of conventional pay-for-play opportunities in music and art, she started The Participation Agency to develop radical experiential campaigns with brands as partners—not clients.
Focused on the idea of placemaking, Ruthie pioneered Outpost—a series of sophisticated rest stops for creatives in developing markets. Serving musicians on tour, Outpost, and its sister Basecamp locations, route culture and arts through emerging markets across the US, invigorating cities with world-renowned talent and giving brand partners organic exposure.
With an international portfolio of clients, Ruthie’s work has helped drive multi-million-dollar campaigns for Fortune 100s, tech startups, and cities seeking innovation through experiential. Ruthie was named Inc.’s Millennial CEO Rising Star and under her leadership, The Participation Agency has won a CLIO, an Ex Award and consecutive placements on Inc.’s Fastest Growing Private Companies list.
Ruthie is one of Adweek’s Disruptors – a list of 39 women spearheading the revolution in advertising, media and tech. Ruthie and her co-founder are also behind “Let’s Work,” a monthly gathering for women to rethink networking and forge professional alliances, developed in partnership with the Soho House.
Ruthie holds an MBA from NYU Business School.
What you’ll find in this episode:
- What Ruthie believes was the most startling part of hiring people.
- What Ruthie considers to be her greatest challenge.
- When it comes to how you want people to get their work done, this approach is the one female visionaries are most uncomfortable with.
- Let’s Work events occur every month in New York, quarterly in Los Angeles and are rolling out soon in Chicago.
- One thing Ruthie feels people need to know in order to have the best chance at succeeding.
Featured on the Show and Other Notes:
- What Got You Here Won’t Get You There by Marshall Goldsmith
- Rocket Fuel: The One Essential Combination That Will Get You More of What You Want from Your Business by Gino Wickman
- This book impacted Ruthie the most – The Hard Thing About Hard Things: Building a Business When There Are No Easy Answers by Ben Horowitz
- Ruthie in Inc. magazine – the top 100 female founders.
- My new Instagram. Go to @KrisPlachyCoach and follow me. Let me know what you think of this podcast.
- Set up a time to meet with me on my website here.
- If you like the podcast, please post a comment or review on Apple Podcasts.
- Reach out to me by emailing me at email@example.com.
- If you haven’t joined my email subscribers list, you can do that here.